Saturday, April 9, 2011

Roll Up the Sleeves, it's Recipe Time

After a long day of op shopping and laying at the beach, the Baking Bunch (Kellee, Bekah, Katie, Emma and I) dove into making the amazing Australian dessert of Lamingtons. I talked about making some about a month ago and have final amassed the baking supplies needed. The process was super quick and super fun to make; all you need is cake mix, icing sugar, cocoa powder and coconut.

You start off with a regular white cake mix and bake the cake as directed. Once cooled, cut the cake into 2 in. by 2 in. squares.

Kellee whipping up the chocolate icing
Next, make a chocolate icing mixture by mixing icing sugar, cocoa powder and hot water together until it's a runny consistency. Dip the cake piece into the mixture, completely covering all the sides. Squeeze the excess chocolate out.
  
Assembly line
Last, coat the cake in coconut. I noticed that the coconut here is a lot finer than coconut from back home. You might have to put it in a food processor to achieve smaller flakes.

The finishing touch
 Kellee, the mastermind behind the Lamingtons, says it's best to leave them overnight so the chocolate seeps through the cake but we could wait that long. They still tasted delicious. I had two :)

The finished product
Emma reckons that I'm starting to become more Australian now that I can make Lamingtons. I'll definitely be bringing this recipe back to the U.S. with me.

The Baking Bunch from left to right: Bekah, Kellee, me, Emma and Katie
Let me know if you make it; I'd love to hear some feedback.

Cheers for now,
Kim

P.S. It's my half birthday ;) 21 & 1/2