Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kiwi Me!

Ahh today is the day. I'm currently on my way to New Zealand! It's going to be one gorgeous trip. I've wanted to go ever since I found out that's where Lord of the Rings was filmed; major geek moment.

I was a little worried about what I would do for Sratting Down Under while I was gone, but I came up with the perfect solution. It begins with a story. When I was little, my parents would go to Mexico for a week. Grammy would take care of my sisters and me in their absence. To make it feel like we were with them, my Mom would write down their daily activites on a notecard that Grammy read to us at breakfast. It was such a treat to find out what grand adventure my parents had enstore for them each day. Now it's my turn. I've got a line-up of New Zealand adventures just for my sratty readers.

So have you ever wondered why people from New Zealand are called Kiwis? Well the kiwi is a flightless bird only found in NZ. They are in the same animal family as the ostrich and the emu. A fun fact about kiwis is that they lay the largest egg in relation to their body size of any species of bird in the world. That's impressive for these little guys {or I should say gals}.

How cute! I want one!
There are five species of kiwis. I will be traveling the South Island so I could encouter the Great Spotted Kiwi or Haast/Southern Tokoeka species. Wow, I'm getting so excited!

Via Wikipedia

Also if you want a postcard from New Zealand, regardless of if I actually "know" you or not, send me your address.

Cheers for now,
Kim

{Also I was thinking that if I get a few more followers, I might host a giveaway-possibly a kiwi something from NZ! Spread the word.}

2 comments:

Mallory said...

Have fun on your trip! That's going to be so much fun! I would love to go to New Zealand. I can't wait to hear more about it!

Portuguese Prepster said...

love this post! Kiwi's are soo cute!