Sunday, April 17, 2011

Game Time: Netty

Last night, I got to play a true Australian sport: Netball. This is what Wikipedia had to say about the sport:
Games are played on a rectangular court divided into thirds, with a raised goal at each short end. The object of the game is for teams to score goals, by passing a ball and shooting it into their team's goal ring. Players are assigned "positions" that define their role within the team and restrict their movement on court. During general play, a player with the ball can take no more than one step before passing it, and must pass the ball or shoot for goal within three seconds. Goals can only be scored by the assigned shooting players. Netball games are 60 minutes long, divided into 15-minute quarters, at the end of which the team with the most goals scored wins.

 Let me just say that I got heaps of calls against me. One thing Wikipedia fails to mention is that you can't swat the ball out of someone's hands {which I did} or when the opponent is shooting you have to be an arm's length away {which I wasn't}. For the first half, I was Keeper which meant I just guarded the goal and blocked shots. There wasn't a lot of running which I liked. Second half, I was Wing Defense which meant I could move around more.
My year on the basketball team in 8th grade taught me one thing: how to be aggressive. Netball really isn't a contact sport. I think I'll be a cheerleader for now on, but I'm happy to say I gave it a shot.

I tried to find a good YouTube video but there aren't any. Sorry this is so long but just skip around till you see the players. It has a very different feel than basketball. Australians love this game and usually it's just female players.


What do you think? Could you play this?

Cheers for now,
Kim