Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cabs are here!

One thing I'm getting good at here in Newcastle is taking public transport. Maybe not what you were expecting but when you don't have a car (and they drive on the opposite side of the road so that's tricky), you have to improvise. Luckily for me, I've made friends with people who have cars so if I ever need to make a grocery run to Woolys or go to the beach, I can just hitch a ride. 

But for travelling beyond Uni, mastering the train system is vital. It's only a quick 15 minute ride into downtown Newcastle for times when the Evatt gang is going out. Or a 2.5 hour ride down to Sydney. I've been using that one a lot, especially when the train takes you right to the airport.

Unfortunately, I don't have the student travel concession sticker which would make traveling half off. Only Australian students are eligible, but at $3 I can't really complain.

Another great Aussie travel treat is the maxi taxi. Find up to 11 of your closest Evatt friends and you can head to anywhere for $5. Perfect for coming back from a night out when the train only runs every hour.

No matter where you are in Australia, there is some kind of transportation option that will get you from adventure A to adventure B or just home.

Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: