Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pavlova, Tim Tams & Lamingtons

Anyone who knows me knows I love sweets! Luck for me Australia has its own dessert confections to feast on.

The first dessert I had was pavlova, a meringue pie with custard and fresh fruit. Apparently it was created in 1935 in Perth, Western Australia, to celebrate the visit of the great Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova. The meringue was extremely light and very sugary. The custard on the side was a nice contrast in texture.

Pavlova: Sorry for the poor quality photo
Tim Tams are the equivalent to Oreo's in Australian popularity. It's a chocolate-covered chocolate biscuit with filling. I had it mixed in ice cream a la Marble Slab style. Whether it was the ice cream or the Tim Tams, my ice cream was delicious. Can't wait to try them solo or in a thickshake like its website suggests.


Lamingtons are the final dessert I need to try. I had a store bought one and was quickly told it wasn't the same. I have a date with Kellee to make them. She's obsessed and has just as much fun making them as eating them (sounds familiar). Lamingtons are sponge cake dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut. I'll put up pictures of the real thing when we get around to making them.

Don't worry family and friends from home. I will bring back recipes and make you an Australian dessert bar to die for.

Cheers for now,
Kim 

No comments: