Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Class equals a 5 day Weekend

Classes started on Monday and I'm already done for the week. Yay five day weekends every week!
How did I manage to only have Monday and Tuesday classes? Oh yeah, by having seven hours of class in a row with no breaks.

The class structure is a lot different than USC. Instead of having a MWF or TTH class schedule, classes are broken into a lecture and a tutorial totalling 3 hours (although my writing class is only a two hour seminar). Also classes go the full hour, so I get out of one class at 1 p.m. and my next class starts at 1 p.m. A little confusing but classes don't start right away. The Australian set up has its pros and cons.

Pro: getting classes out of the way
Con: having to sit through a two hour lecture

I'm really excited for this semester's course load. I'm taking 4 classes:International Relations, Marketing, Aboriginal Studies and Creative Writing.

International Relations: Most interesting class the first week. It's going to be very interesting to hear a non-American point of view. I went up to the teacher after class to ask for some Australian news resources so I can 'defend America' in class discussion.

Creative Writing: My teacher is lovely! She's a young published poet and is currently writing a novel. I'm most excited to see my writing improve from this class. I will definitely be out of my comfort zone.

Marketing: Although the two hour lecture was extremely dry, I am excited for tutorials to start next week. Apparently they are very hands-on and social!

Aboriginal Studies: Bottom on the totem pole for the week (no pub intended). I feel the material will get better as the semester continues. Also there seems to be a lot of study abroad students taking this.

Keeping with the Osborne tradition, I had my friend Caitlin take a 'first day of school' picture (just for you Mom!). I got all dressed up in my Jack Rogers and infamous $10 dress from Urban Outfitters.

Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: