Monday, March 28, 2011

Hanging out with Jack

Day trips really are the best! Last Friday, Katie, Bekah and I hopped on the train to Blackbutt Reserve, just outside Newcastle. This free wildlife park hosts a variety of Australian animals including kangaroos, emus, birds and koalas!

Koala Tree


Sleepy little things


A lace monitor; creepy

I was informed by the park ranger when I asked for tickets to the koala bear encounter that koalas aren't bears. Koalas have pouches and are in the marsupial family. Therefore the term koala bear is entirely American. It's hard not to say the bear part but I'm making an effort.

Getting up close and personal with koala was the greatest; it's one of the things on my must do list. We met Jack, the alpha male of the koalas at Blackbutt. He was heaps adorable. What a pampered life he lives!

The girls plus Jack


He's ready for his close-up

All and all, the girls and I had a great day exploring what Australia has to offer. We got to pet a koala bear and see kangaroos-all for the price of a train ticket. Cheap and fun!

Cheers for now,
Kim

1 comment:

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

oh how fun!! thanks for the congratulations and stopping by my blog! you asked what my secret was to getting followers, sorry, if this is a bit long but what I've been doing is commenting, commenting, commenting on other blogs. So I have the ones that I read every day, and I try and comment on those as much as possible, and I also try and look at new blogs all the time- so I'll click on someone whose comment I might like on a certain post, or I'll find new ones using the Favorite Blogs section a lot of people have on their sidebar. When I find a new one I like, I comment on it and mention I'm new to blogging and to please stop by. That way, they likely will check it out, as well as other people that see my comment! Hope this helps!