Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lions and Tigers and (Koala) Bears, Oh My!

It was a gorgeous Sunday afternoon when Ryan and I embarked on our journey to see koala bears, my favorite animal. The Taronga Zoo is located in the middle of the Sydney Harbour; the only way to get to it is by ferry. We ended up seeing heaps of animals including some Aussie favs like the Tasmanian Devil and wallaby.
We arrived right in time for the seal show, a main attraction at the zoo. The trainer brought out three different types of seals including a California sea lion named Archie. Archie was the biggest and most talented.


At one point, I looked up and a koala was hanging in the tree above me. According to a bush legend, koalas are permanently drunk on fermented gum leaves. In fact, eucalyptus leaves are low in energy and difficult to break down, which is why koala bears sleep up to 20 hours a day. Their laid-back pose also keeps them cool. It exposes the soft white belly fur which reflects the heat and is easily ruffled by the breeze.
How cute is he!
Did I mention that the Taronga Zoo has some of the best views of the Harbour. How cool is it that you can see the Opera House in the background of the giraffe area?

I would recommend this to anyone who is visiting Sydney!

Cheers for now,
Kim

[SDU Note: Just for you Mom-There were heaps of sailboats out in the harbour. I know you would have loved to be out sailing about. Miss you.]

No comments: