Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wandering Melbourne

My favorite thing to do in new cities is to explore. Wandering around Melbourne was a treat because there were heaps of landmarks and historical buildings. Katie and I explored Federation Square and the waterfront the first day. The Australian Center for the Moving Image had a free interactive exhibit called Screen Worlds that dealt with the evolution of film, TV and the digital culture. It was really interesting as a Public Relations major to see the development of communications over the past century. The end of the exhibit asked museum goers to predict what the future of screens would be. I said that dreams could be recorded and TV could have food come out of them i.e. Willy Wonka. How amazing would it be to taste all the delicious creations that were made on the Food Network? Sounds good to me!

The modern Federation Square coupled with the traditional Flinder Street Station. A Melbourne skyscraper in the background.
Jessica took us to Queen Victoria Market and St. Kilda one day. That same night, Katie and I watched an AFL footy game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
 
Panoramic of the world famous Brighton Beach huts
The last day Katie and I were in Melbourne, we spent the whole day wandering. Melbourne has amazing resources for tourists. There are designated volunteers on major street corners who help with directions. Also there is a free visitor shuttle that serves as a mini guided tour to all the major areas and landmarks. I didn't realize how many historical sites Melbourne had to offer. We saw Parliament and the Shrine of Rememerance. You can hop on and off the shuttle though Katie and I stayed on for the whole 1.5 hour loop.
 
Aussie Parliament building
We wandered through the Royal Botanical Gardens then along the waterfront. There was a little amusement park on the walk with a Ferris Wheel. At one point, we walked down an alley completely covered in graffiti; it was quality work. 
 
Ferris Wheel with Eureka Tower in the distance
Alley Artwork
It was a fabulous way to end our trip. Melbourne was definitely my favorite Australian city and I could see myself living there.
 
Last picture in Melbourne: Sunset & the City
Want to see more pictures from my time in Melbourne? Visit my Picasa Web Album for all things Sratting Down Under.
 
Cheers for now,
Kim

1 comment:

Abby said...

That panoramic of the beach huts is soo neat!!