Friday, May 27, 2011

Great Ocean Road

The first thing my friend suggested to Katie and I to do while in Melbourne was a tour of the Great Ocean Road. We couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous day than the day we got. The drive was picturesque down the coast of Victoria. It reminded me a lot of the bus rides in New Zealand and I'm sad to say that I was a little jaded by the drive. I've done similar excursions in Cairns and New Zealand. The furthest points away from the city (about 3 hours) are the most famous and made the day. This included the 12 Apostles and London Bridge.

There are only 8 of the 12 Apostles still intact
London Bridge has fallen down
 Back in the day, this area was known for the shipwrecks along this jagged coastline. Lookout points were established all down the Road.

I really like all the stickers on this sign
Other highlights of the trip included feeding birds out of my hand, a delicious lunch at a coastal cafe and stopping at the beach.

All smiles before the bird tried to climb down my shirt
 If you have a day to spend on the GOR, I would recommend it unless you have already done something similar. Australia is a beautiful and scenic county, but the coastlines all start to look the same after 4 months here.

Cheers for now,
Kim

Koala on a Surfboard-So Aussie.

No comments: