Monday, May 30, 2011

Waltzing Matilda

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

The song "Waltzing Matilda" is a traditional Australian bush song sung by journeymen through the Outback. Some Aussies would go as far as to say this ballad is the "unofficial national anthem."

{via Google Images}
Since I am about to head out on my adventure in the great Australian Outback, I figured I would share this song with you. The above excerpt is just the beginning of the song; it is rather political as the song goes on.

Here is a little cheat code to understand what the song is about:
waltzing-traveling as a craftsman from one area to the next
Matilda-a romantic term for the swagman's bundle
swagman-Outback wanderer looking for work who carried his belongings in a swag
swag-bedroll
billabong-water hole
coolibah tree-a kind of eucalyptus tree
billy-water kettle

Therefore to waltz Matilda means to travel with your swag around the countryside. I will be waltzing Matilda on my tour across the Outback.

How legit does that sound?

Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: