Thursday, May 26, 2011

Good Travel Karma

As many may know I am a student blogger for the Embassy of Australia's Study in Australia program. The 16 bloggers this semester are studying at a variety of schools around the country. I thought it would be fun to meet up with the Melbourne bloggers to have my own personal guide around the city. I got in touch with Jessica, a Canadian exchange student at Deakin University. She was a doll and even put Katie and I up for the time we were in Melbourne. She called it "good travel karma" for all the traveling she has done.

Wine, Tim Tams & a new Friend
Jessica took us to the Queen Victoria Market for some souvenir shopping. Some people who are reading this got a few treats so I can't say exactly what I got. One clue though: I spent a lot of time at the Aboriginal craft tables. After an exhaustion morning of shopping, we took the tram to St. Kilda. I wouldn't have gone to this little beach suburb if it wasn't for Jess. She even had a friend whose family owned one of the famous Brighton Beach huts. These bathing boxes date back to around 1862 and now cost about $200,000 AUD! We ate Grill'd burgers on the little porch and I felt so VIP.

Goofing off in front of the famous Australian flag Brighton Beach hut
This whole experience just goes to show that reaching out to fellow study abroad students really pays off. They are in the same boat as you in terms of interests, budget and lifestyle. It was such a pleasure to meet Jess. Her Indonesian roommate even made us dinner; twice. Thanks so much Jessica!

Jessica and Katie on the Melbourne riverfront
Have you ever practiced good travel karma?

Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: