Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Living Arrangements Down Under

Today I got a Facebook message from one of my sorority sisters Haley. She is planning on studying abroad in Australia next spring. How exciting to have another KKG Down Under! She asked a very important question about where to live when she is abroad.
--
Q. I'm trying to figure out what my housing situation would look like in terms of costs and everything. Can you tell me what kind of place you're living in right now and how much it costs?
A. I would definitely try to live on-campus or college as Aussies call it. It's the best way to make Australian and other international friends. College life is way more relaxed than dorm life at South Carolina.

I live in Evatt House and it is the best! I do a lot of activities with my block. Also Evatt competes against the other two houses on college, Teds {booo!} and IH {our friends at the International House}. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the coveted Collegiate Shield. It's a little like Harry Potter and the House Cup.

I loved the fact that I knew exactly where I was staying before I got to Australia. It's scary enough going to a foreign country but having no idea where you are staying just adds anxiety. Plus you don't have to worry about leasing an apartment in a different country.

 I am not on a meal plan at Newcastle though at Ted's you are required. So it just depends on what college dorm you end up living on. I spend about $30-$40 on groceries a week and my accommodation for the semester is $3,170.

My one fear about living on-campus was that I would be with all freshmen students. Evatt has just as many if not more returners than first year students.

I believe. Let me know if anyone has questions about studying abroad in Australia; I'd love to help. Click on the Evatt label at the bottom to see how much fun I have living on college.

Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: