Sunday, February 27, 2011

Why Australia?

Back in the States, family and friends would ask me why I decided to study abroad in Australia. Here's the more in-depth answer than 'How amazing would it be!':

In the beginning of my study abroad search, I was debating between somewhere in Europe or Australia. Both areas have so many opportunities for college students like me. Australia ultimately won out and so far in these first two weeks abroad I know I made the right choice.
My argument for heading to the Land Down Under was the timing. When else am I going to be able to spend this much time exploring a country halfway around the world? With Europe, I felt it was more accessible a destination from the United States-some place I could go to in the future.
Australia has the perfect combination of adventure and leisure that I was looking for. In preparation for my semester in New South Wales, I became scuba certified. Just the thought of my upcoming trip to the Great Barrier Reef is giving me chills. Swimming around with creatures that call the largest nature wonder their home is something I wouldn’t be able to experience anywhere else on Earth.
Not only does Australia have gorgeous beaches, but it has a rich cultural history. The Aboriginal people are one of the oldest cultures still in existence. I can’t wait to learn more about them in my Aboriginal Studies class I am taking at Uni.
Another must do on my list is a walkabout through the Outback. You can’t studying in Australia and not see kangaroos and koala bears in their natural habitat or visit the famous Uluru Rock. Although there is an Australian wildlife rehabilitation center not far from campus that I plan on visiting for a day trip.  
From the sea to the Outback, Australia has a wide range of activities for any study abroad student. Also everyone I’ve meet so far has been extremely pleasant and genuine. Being able to communicate is important in a new environment. It’s so fun to find out the different Australian words and pick up on the lingo. All in all, I can’t wait to continue exploring the great country of Australia.

Cheers for now,
Kim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why Australia is Best for Study Abroad, tell me?