Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dolphin Sightings at Nelson Bay

Waking up at the crack of dawn (OK eight in the morning) is definitely worth it when you are going to see dolphins.
Gorgeous view of the bay
This morning, 200 of my new closest friends traveled 45 minutes by bus to Nelson Bay, the major holiday and resort area of Port Stephens. There we went on a two hour dolphin cruise around the harbour. The dolphins were so graceful and so close. When one would pop its head or fin above water, everyone would freak out. By luck, my group was on the bow of the boat. A pair of dolphin were swimming right along side the boat, but they were a little too quick for my camera skill.
Dolphins!
It was a gorgeous day but hot day. Even with sunscreen on, I still managed to get a little burnt on my shoulders and nose. After the cruise and the catered buffet lunch, some friends and I went to the mini harbour beach and stuck our feet in. Wow it felt good. We were heaps keen on heading to one of the main Newcastle beaches when we got back, but we were all exhausted and burnt.
Katie and I take on Nelson Bay
Nelson Bay also has a couple of dive spots. One of my Aussie friends Max actually got certified here. I've meet a lot of people who are scuba certified; I hoping that we can set up a couple of weekend diving adventures.

Marina flag
Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: