Thursday, November 17, 2011

Australian Slang

I was asked by the University of South Carolina Study Abroad Office to participate in a "Language Speed Dating" event for International Education Week. What a great way to give students a glimpse of the similarities and differences between the U.S. and Australia. Students went around the room to different country stations, learning more about the language and culture. 
All smiles after an outstanding event!

At my table, I gave out language cards with some great Aussie terms on it. I'd asked my Australian roommates for some suggestions to include. They said to definitely include heaps and keen! Since most of these terms are abbreviations, I think they illustrate the laid-back nature of Australians perfectly. Take a look and see if you can incorporate any of these terms into your daily life. 

Australian-English
Arvo-Afternoon
Boot-Car trunk
College-Where you live on campus
Cheers-Hi and Goodbye
Devo-Disappointing
G’Day-Hello
Heaps-A lot, every
Jumper-Sweatshirt
Keen-interested, great, exciting
Maccas-McDonald's
Mate-friend
Mozzy-Mosquitoes
Singlets-Tank tops
Shoulder wars-Chicken fight
Sunners-Sunglasses
Swimmers-Swim suit
Ta-Thank you
Thongs-Flip flops
Uni-College


Fun Fact: One of the students who stopped by my table said that boot and singlet are also spoken in Nigeria.
Also, I showed pictures of all my travels and gave away prizes to students who liked my Facebook page. Overall, it was a great event and I enjoyed sharing some local lingo with USC students.

Cheers for now,
Kim

No comments: